Physiotherapy is a health service that involves rehabilitating & maximizing the functional potential of an individual who has a disease/ dysfunction or injury. It focuses on improving the quality of life after any major surgery.The Physiotherapy Unit at Platina Heart Hospital provides a fully comprehensive service to the Institute and community with a well qualified skilled staff. Physiotherapy at Platina Heart Hospital comprises of :
Inpatient Rehabilitation Program:
The physiotherapists work closely with members of the medical team to reduce period of hospitalization and optimize patient's physical functions. The services are provided for patient admitted to the hospital mainly in the areas of cardio-pulmonary care. These services are rendered in the intensive care units (ICU) as well as patient rooms (wards).
- Respiratory Physiotherapy
- Therapeutic Exercises for cardiac and non cardiac cases
- Post-operative joint replacement rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal rehabilitation
- Patient and Family Education and counseling
Some of these services are:
- Exercise prescription to promote healthy weight, cholesterol reduction and fitness
- Hands on joint mobilization by manual therapy, soft tissue mobilization, stretching, strapping
- Therapeutic exercise to maintain & improve joint flexibility, muscular strength, endurance, balance and coordination, postural awareness / correction and gait training
- Exercises are taught so that they can be safely performed at home.
The physiotherapist evaluates and provides appropriate treatment which includes:
- Geriatric Care Program: This program caters to the elderly populations who have problems like multi-joint pain, frequent falls, osteoporosis, general physical fitness, etc
- General Fitness Promotion:This caters to people who are interested in improving their physical fitness and preventing injuries. the aim is to promote healthy lifestyles, weight reduction and includes health promotion talks.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation program:This includes exercise planning and prescription of a well designed exercise program for the post surgical cardiac patients for a healthier future
- This program aims to reduce symptoms and improve physical fitness of respiratory and post operative cardiac patients.
- Physiotherapists work closely with the physician, intensivist and the nurse to:
- Prevent acute episode
- Reduce hospital stay
- Improve patient's level of fitness and endurance and gain their optimal functional independence
- Decrease further risk of disease or heart attacks.
- Instill confidence to resume work and normal activities of daily living
- Begin an exercise program that is safe and effective
- This program is provided for inpatients & outpatients. Some of these services are:
- Aerosol Therapy: (Nebulization)
- Chest Therapy: which includes Postural Drainage on specially designed postural drainage couch, Ventilatory Muscle Training, Endurance and Strength Training, Pacing Techniques, Relaxation Techniques
- Self Care Training: Help to cope up with daily living activities
- Patient and Family Education: Patient information and counseling
Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
- This is a unique service provided by Platina Heart Hospital which focuses mainly on the needs of heart patient.
- Cardiac yoga is a system of stress management and health promotion designed specifically to target on:
- Breathing practices, stress reduction, stretching, relaxation and body awareness techniques.
- Cardiac yoga is basically artery gentle yoga exercises tailored to the special needs of people who have various cardiac problems, live with a cardiac condition or recover from cardiac diseases.It allows for the participant to stay seated while learning the different movements, and eventually working their way up to a full yoga routine.While exercising, patients use mats, pillows, chairs and other accessories to ensure general comfort and correct positioning
- The low intensity seated yoga reduces blood pressure and stress
- Prevents cardiac diseases
Benefits of Cardiac Yoga: